Monday, June 25, 2012

The Teacher Catch-22

Most of my commentary thus far has been more concerned with the preparation of grad school than most anything else. There is a shadow to this journey. Not a malevolent or evil shadow, but a shadow that will seem to follow me through this path more than I perhaps anticipated: teaching. 


In August, the 4th year of my teaching career will commence. I expect it to be a great one, mainly because I'll be blessed to be at only one school rather than split like a mad schizo between two very antithetical groups of students...never again! I wasn't the best that I could have been this past year for exhaustion and lack of time, so when the Foreign Language Curriculum Coordinator said that she had found the funds to pay for the Latin Curriculum Map, I applied the same day.

Apart from grad school, writing the curriculum map for Latin was a bright spot in my summer. I finally had the time to really think about what my students needed to learn and how they were going to be taught. Every assignment, project, test was going to be written out and clarified to the last minute detail.

But here's the catch: I've been so excited about grad school that I have have had one of the biggest creative teaching blocks this whole time. I guess when you're the student it's hard to be the teacher.



No comments:

Post a Comment